Monday, July 25, 2011

it's not a failure if you enjoyed the process.


When you are putting on your makeup, it's like you're an artist,
but instead of painting a canvas, you're painting a face.
- Tess, Burlesque

Getting ready to go out is always the best part of going out. The subtle thrill of carefully selecting the right outfit, the perfect shoes, and making your hair and makeup just so...

When my friend and I get ready to go out dancing, we will spend an inordinate amount of time primping, chatting, and having a drink or two, all while blaring 90s pop music. This is all done with eager anticipation for what is to come, both of us knowing it won't be as great as what has already happened.

There is something to be said about the process.

I love when the makeup process itself is joyous, creative, fun and rewarding; when time isn't a factor, and there is room for creativity and perfectionism. It is often satisfying to step back for a moment and consider what makeup will suit your outfit or mood, and from there, putting together a cohesive look. From moisturizer to setting spray, putting on your makeup can be fun.

Which is why I hate when doing makeup is a chore. This normally happens when I am tight on time, or if I am getting ready for work. It becomes something to get done. Before I've even got my foundation on, my mind is already focused on bus schedules and breakfast. When my eyes are barely open, layering on mascara seems utterly unappealing.

The process I so often adore, shifts into something to get through.

I want that to change. I always want to enjoy what I love, even at six in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment